Bristol City v Posh Nationwide League Div 2 – 26 Feb 02

Venue: Ashton Gate, Bristol

Attendance: 8,299

Score: Peterborough Utd 0 v Bristol City1

Referee: Clive Penton

A spirited Posh outfit equipped themselves well against a strong Bristol City side at Ashton Gate, but could find no reply to a solitary Tony Thorpe goal after a quarter of an hour.

Posh began with the emphasis very much on attacking the Bristol City goal, and with only three minutes on the clock David Farrell found himself clean through on goal, but the winger was denied by the legs of City goalkeeper Steve Phillips.

Moments later Posh had another chance, Andy Edwards nodded a Jimmy Bullard corner into the path of Marc Joseph, but he could only blaze over after bringing the ball down on his chest.

As on so many recent occasions, Posh were left to mourn their spurned opportunities when Bristol City took the lead on 15 minutes.

An in-swinging free kick from Brian Tinnion was met at the far post by the diving head of Thorpe, who had somehow managed to peel away from his marker.

Lee Peacock then tried to get in on the act when shooting from distance, but his effort was gathered comfortably by Mark Tyler/

The Posh stopper was equal to the test again five minutes later to deny Aaron Brown, who had dribbled his way through the danger area before pulling the trigger.

Robin Hulbert then sent Thorpe clear on 26 minutes, but Tyler was able to get enough on the shot to turn the ball behind for a corner, which he then punched away to safety.

Thorpe was proving to be a thorn in Posh’s side and he sent a glancing header just wide of the target following a 35th minute cross from Mickey Bell.

Tom Williams then saw a deflected shot fly into the arms of Phillips as the visitors pressed for an equaliser, and Neale Fenn then blasted a shot over the bar from the edge of the area following a neat interchange of passes with Farrell and Howard Forinton.

Barry Fry’s side had dominated throughout the majority of the opening period, and deserved much more for their efforts.

Posh carried that momentum over to the second half and both Francis Green and Fenn were unlucky from acute angles early on.

Brown supplied a dangerous ball across the face of the Posh goal on 55 minutes as City looked to double their lead, but Amankwaah saw his effort saved by Tyler.

Peacock then had an effort deflected wide by Joseph, but the home side were unable to capitalise on the flag kick that followed.

Jimmy Bullard sent a 30 yard free kick well over the target with 64 minutes on the clock, before Bell tried his luck with a set piece at the other end of the field – although his effort was too close to the body of Tyler.

Posh had the ball in the back of the net on 69 minutes as Fenn bundled it past Phillips after Forinton had seen his header blocked by the Robins custodian, but the assistant referee’s raised flag quashed any hopes of a leveller.

Tinnion and Amankwaah both spurned chances to wrap up the victory for Danny Wilson’s men from a free kick and snap shot respectively, before Edwards saw a thunderous half volley crash the side netting as a deep Williams corner had eluded everybody else.

Defender Simon Rea was called upon as a makeshift centre forward for the remaining six minutes of the encounter, but it was to no avail as Bristol City held on for the three points that would bolster their aspirations of promotion and push Posh deeper into a relegation dogfight.


Posh: Mark Tyler, Matthew Gill, Andy Edwards, Marc Joseph, Tom Williams, Francis Green (sub Daniel French), Jimmy Bullard, Tony Shields (sub Helgi Danielsson), David Farrell, Neale Fenn (sub Simon Rea) and Howard Forinton.

Unused subs: Gary MacDonald and Dan Connor.

Bristol City: Steve Phillips, Louis Carey, Matt Hill, Mark Lever, Kevin Amankwaah, Robin Hulbert, Aaron Brown (sub Simon Clist), Brian Tinnion, Mickey Bell, Lee Peacock and Tony Thorpe (sub Steve Jones).

Unused subs: Dani Rodrigues, Jamie Attwell and Craig Woodman.

Goal scorer: Tony Thorpe 15 mins.

Booking: Howard Forinton – Posh.