Chester v Posh 25 Mar 61

Venue: Sealand Road, Chester

Attendance: 5,493

Score: Chester 1 v Peterborough Utd 2

Officials: E. Crawford.

With Crystal Palace and Bradford losing this proved to be another vital victory for United. But they looked far from being promotion candidates in the early stages of the game in which Chester might well have built up a three goal lead.

After the shock of an early goal United took a long time to take command against bottom of the table Chester, but in the second half goals from Hails and Bly took Posh a step nearer the championship.

Chester made a number of changes in the side which lost so heavily at London Road a fortnight ago and it was soon obvious that there was going to be no repetition of the 6-0 hammering they took from Posh.

According to a Chester correspondent Peterborough surprised the crowd by the heavy weather they made of this game. This is what they had to say about the game –

In the first quarter of an hour Peterborough were seldom in the game and they found the fast moving, quick tackling Chester little to their liking.

Chester were a goal ahead in two minutes. Young centre forward Davies showed a nice turn of speed and excellent ball control as he whipped round Rigby and shot on the run past the advancing Walls.

It was a well taken goal and it certainly seemed to upset the visitors. The score might have been 2-0 shortly afterwards when Croft missed the easiest of chances with only Walls to beat.

But once Peterborough got the measure of Chester they were decidedly the better side. Even then, however, they showed little enterprise and by their close passing play near goal, gave the veteran Chester full backs plenty of time to cover.

Brown, the Chester goalkeeper, gave Peterborough little encouragement. With what was probably his best display of the season, he made some superb saves, notably from Bly.

Midway through the first half Bly must have been certain he would put his side on level terms when he held the ball until he was satisfied he was in a perfect shooting position only to see Brown move across goal and push the powerful shot away.

For Dennis Emery it was a game to forget. Twice he missed the easiest of chances. Both were in the second half, the first when Peterborough were badly needing an equaliser.

When Bly centred on the left wing, Emery only had to tap the ball to score. He missed completely and fortunately for Peterborough Hails who had closed in was at hand to rectify the error.

Minutes later Emery was given the ball in front of the Chester goal with only the goalkeeper to beat. Instead of a coolly placed shot, he blasted the ball high over the crossbar.

Not until the 71st minute did Peterborough get the winning goal. Hails put across a high centre and with the Chester centre half mis-judging the ball Bly was able to head it home.

Peterborough had been so much on top during this period that it was surprising that they did not get a lot more goals.

Chester’s much shuffled forward line gave the Peterborough defence plenty of trouble with centre forward Davies frequently beating Rigby to the ball.

Peterborough were well served by their wingers and by right half Rayner from whom came some notable crosses.

On occasions, however, it seemed that Rayner was inclined to shoot when a judicious pass could have left the Chester defence wide open.


Posh: Jack Walls, Dick Whittaker, Jim Walker, Jim Rayner, Norman Rigby, Keith Ripley, Billy Hails, Dennis Emery, Terry Bly, Ray Smith and Peter McNamee.

Chester: Brown, Davies, Croft, rest unknown.

Goals: Posh – Billy Hails 50 mins and Terry Bly 71 mins. Chester – Davies 2 mins.