Carlisle Utd v Posh 27th August 1960

Venue: Brunton Park, Carlisle

Attendance: 8,334

Score: Peterborough Utd 3 v Carlisle Utd 3

Officials: F.V. Stringer, L. Dalkin and W.S. Powles.

Hails gets United’s third after free kick

Carlisle United made a number of team changes with manager Ivor Powell, a former Welsh international, hoping to find a combination which could wipe off the bitterness of their 4-1 home defeat this week by Stockport County.

He brought in George Stewart, the former Coventry and Accrington goal grabber at centre-forward, and the ex-Swansea Town full-back Alan McBain at left back. Peterborough fielded an unchanged side for the third successive game. It was a renewal of acquaintances at the Brunton Park ground when Peterborough manager, Jimmy Hagan, met Dick Young, the Carlisle trainer.

Hagan and Young used to be team-mates with Sheffield United.

There was a fairly large crowd, despite the counter-attraction of a race meeting at Carlisle.

A quarter of an hour before the kick off the teams came out with club officials and the Mayor of Carlisle (Councillor T. Souness), a keen football fan , was introduced to them all.

Just before the start, there was a cheer when the local mascot “Twinkle-Toes” went out to place his customary fox on the centre spot and a blue football shirt. The fox – named Olga – sported a blue rosette on its collar.

There was an amusing moment when a large boxer dog went out to inspect the fox, sniffed at it and then made a dash for the grandstand.

Because of the clash of colours, Peterborough changed their strip to red and white.

There was a sensational start to the game when Peterborough went ahead in the second minute. Jim Walker broke up a right wing move and the long cross field pass sent Hails away. The winger pushed in a square ball to Dennis Emery whose low shot beat the slow diving Carlisle goalkeeper George Thompson.

Tommy Cavanagh and Brian Bevan worked a good move for Carlisle but Posh goalkeeper Jack Walls came out and collected Bevan’s high centre.

Overnight heavy rain had made the surface greasy but when Ellis Stafford slipped, Derek Norris was quick to cover and blocked a dangerous run by Wendell Morgan.

Peterborough had a spell of pressure and Alan McBain tackled well as Hails bore down on the goal. Then offside spoiled a good move as Emery ran on to Ray Smith’s low pass.

Carlisle’s George Walker chased one long ball down the middle but Walls came out and dived at his feet. Carlisle equalised after 18 minutes when George Stewart’s first run was thwarted by Norman Rigby only for the ball to run back to Stewart’s foot close to the bye-line.

The Carlisle leader side-footed it towards goal and as Stafford and Walker made desperate efforts to chase the ball rolled just over the line and just inside the far post.

This was the first goal scored against United in the Football League.

This goal shocked the Posh. Carlisle answered their overjoyed fans with some strong attacks. Although their moves were finding a way through the Posh defence, the home attack failed to take advantage of some good openings.

It was therefore Peterborough who regained the lead after 30 minutes

Ellis Stafford started it, a perfect tackle on the touchline. He chipped an equally perfect pass to Smith who then sprinted from the centre circle to inside the penalty area.

He drew three men and then slipped an excellent pass outside to Terry Bly who scored with little trouble.

Bly had some very bad luck for goalkeeper Thompson twice dashed out and allowed the Peterborough leader to shoot. The first effort went just past the post and the second crashed against the crossbar and rebounded well outside the penalty area.

Carlisle had the ball in the net a minute before half time but Stewart who side-footed the ball by Walls was all alone almost on the goal line. The referee awarded a goal but then changed his decision when he saw the linesman flagging.

The linesman was booed off the field.

Half time Peterborough Utd 2 v Carlisle Utd 1

The sun vanished just after the interval and a terrible rainstorm took its place. The players slipped and floundered and a bad pass by McBain almost let Bly in, but Thompson recovered and saved.

Hails was doing a lot of chasing and it was in the 56th minute that he was brought down in the centre circle by George Fleming. Jim Rayner’s free kick was breasted down by Smith and Hails nipped in and coolly pushed the ball past the advancing goalkeeper.

Good covering by Walker saved an almost certain goal as his Carlisle namesake broke through.

Then came Carlisle’s fighting finish. First Rayner and then Rigby were hurt in hectic clashes before the home sided scored the goals. In the 75th minute, Morgan’s switch to the opposite wing brought a centre and Walkers header was placed so well that Walls could get nowhere near it.

Centre-half Gordon Bradley was standing two or three yards offside when Fleming tried to get the ball through to him. He hit it hard and Derek Norris could not get out of the way. The ball hit the Peterborough wing-half and went to Bradley, who scored the 88th minute equaliser.

The Peterborough attack should have had more goals but manager Jimmy Hagan picks out for criticism the last minute of the first half. Dennis Emery was making for goal and dribbled round a defender. The referee looked to a linesman who was not flagging – so the referee blew just as Emery pushed the ball past the goalkeeper.


Posh: Jack Walls, Ellis Stafford, Jim Walker, Jim Rayner, Norman Rigby, Derek Norris, Billy Hails, Dennis Emery, Terry Bly, Ray Smith and Peter McNamee.

Carlisle: George Thompson, Alex Brown, Alan McBain, Tommy Cavanagh, Gordon Bradley, Tommy McMillan, Brian Bevan, George Walker, George Stewart, George Fleming and Wendell Morgan.

Goals: Posh – Dennis Emery, Terry Bly and Billy Hails. Carlisle – George Stewart, George Walker and Gordon Bradley.