Swansea v Posh FA Cup 5th Rd Replay – 23 Feb 1965

Venue: Vetch Field, Swansea

Attendance: 29,948

Score: Peterborough Utd 2 v Swansea Town 0

Officials: Harry G. New, W.J. Mardon and B. Gray.

As if this, the 1964/65 season had not made enough history for Peterborough Utd, the Posh players scored one of their finest wins in their years of cup fighting.

They took up the cudgels again with Swansea Town, this time at Vetch Field, and they proceeded to wipe the floor with the Welshmen.

Peterborough had this game won as soon as they went on the field. Their determination compared with Saturday’s apparent complacency, was bubbling over.

They had the Swansea defence in a panic from the start and Peter Deakin cashed in with a goal in each half.

Not one man shirked his job. There was no “hiding” from the tough Swansea tackles and no-one was allowed to stop for a breather without getting a verbal rocket from skipper Vic Crowe.

It was a great night for Crowe. He and Harry Orr played defensive games which kept them in the background more than usual but Crowe’s captaincy stamped United’s play with the fighting spirit that was needed.

As we well know, when Derek Dougan really turns on the heat Posh are almost unstoppable. It would have taken more than a double centre half plan to hold him last night. He fought for every ball and he chased every possible opening.

He enthralled the Swansea fans and he sprinted back to defend when it was necessary.

The link up of attack and defence was a one hundred per cent improvement on Saturday’s play and Deakin and Conmy went through a tremendous amount of work.

Wingers McNamee and Barnes featured in good moves and it was noted with some humour that “Mac” had about five free kicks given against him for his tackling!

Swansea attacks nearly all petered out before they really got going. Centre forward Kirby up to his usual jostling tricks could not ruffle Frank Rankmore who played another superb game.

Ron Cooper, Posh’s local boy also had a much better night against McLaughlin.

The revelation of the day however was the performance of the quiet spoken ex-Scottish Under 23 International Ian Crawford who came into the side at left back.

He had a “blinder”. He used the ball well and tackled with a tenacity that had never been seen of him, as a winger in United’s colours.

One man remains for mention – and that is goalkeeper Willie Duff. As said Swansea rarely got their attacks going but nevertheless Duff was the brightest star in a five star performance.

Three great saves marked his display and one of them – a fingertip clearance from Johnson’s free kick – must go down as equal to any of those great efforts against Arsenal.

The United fans , small in number but gigantic in voice had a great night. In the end Swansea fans admitted defeat and joined the Posh followers in singing “Glory Glory….”

The game opened up with a quick Swansea raid. Todd put a shot into the crowd and someone kept the ball as a souvenir.

While police went searching, the next ball was kicked over the Swansea bar by full back Hughes – as he was being challenged by Dougan – and again police had to climb into the crowd to save £5 worth of leather.

After ten minutes Peterborough went ahead – and Posh fans raised the roof. Crowe took a free kick after Barnes had been floored by the strangely subdued Harley, and Dougan out jumped Purcell to head the ball down. McNamee could not control the bouncing ball but he touched it into the air, and Deakin hooked it into the top corner.

Left back Ward spurned the chance of punching the ball over the bar.

Midway through the half Dougan sprinted through the Swansea defence and squared the ball to Deakin who miskicked in front of goal.

Swansea were really up against it and Duff’s brilliant saves coupled with a misplaced header by Evans left them 1-0 down at half time.

Just after the interval Kirby was fortunate to get away with only a warning after fouling Conmy, Deakin, and taking a terrific slam at McNamee.

Duff spoiled another Swansea effort with a great save from Todd and then Dougan had a blinding header blocked on the line by Ward with Briggs beaten.

After sixty minutes a penalty decided things for Posh. Deakin was shaping up to shoot as he chased Dougan’s pass and Ward brought him down.

Unlike bustling Swansea, Deakin  kept a cool head and sent Briggs the wrong way with a perfect spot kick.

Swansea tried to shake themselves into a recovery and Dougan went back to head a Ward free kick over his won cross bar for a corner.

Then Duff made another great save, this time from a Harley drive. In the last few minutes with Posh content to keep possession and waste time Draper suffered similar misfortune to his effort on Saturday when a great header hit the cross bar.

Todd headed the rebound against the post – and then it was all over.


The Posh: Willie Duff, Ron Cooper, Ian Crawford, Vic Crowe, Frank Rankmore, Harry Orr, Ron Barnes, Ollie Conmy, Derek Dougan, Peter Deakin and Peter McNamee.

Swansea Town: Ron Briggs, Brian Hughes, David Ward, Mick Johnson, Brian Purcell, Harley, Evans, Derek Draper, George Kirby, Keith Todd and Jim McLaughlin.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Peter Deakin (2) 10 mins & 60 mins.