Page last updated: 8th October 2017
Since its inception in 1934 the Posh’s home has always been London Road. The earliest picture of London Road we could find (below) is from the 1930’s and only shows part of the ground!
The ground was owned by the City Council and only had a single wooden stand which seated around 250 people with raised earth banks behind either goal. The picture below shows some Posh players training at London Road with the old wooden North Stand in the background.
In the 1950’s the City Council sold the ground to Peterborough United with a built-in safeguard of covenants restricting the use of the area for anything but a sports stadium. With money mainly coming from the Supporters Club the ground really took shape in the late 1950’s and in the 1960’s the North Stand looked like this:
A standing terrace was created on the Glebe Road side and opened for the 1957/58 season. Below you can see the new Glebe Road terrace with four executive boxes and a TV platform, being erected at the back.
Sadly very little changes to the ground were made from the late 1950’s to when Posh gained promotion to the new First Division in 1992. As our seated capacity was below the levels required by the Taylor report, the club converted the North Stand’s standing enclosures with seats bought second hand from Leicester City, when they re-developed one of the Filbert Street stands, and seats from Millwall’s Old Den ground.
By the mid-1990s Posh were looking to provide more seats and built a completely new 5,000 capacity stand on Glebe Road side. The contract to build the stand went to Lincoln contractors Linpave. The Football Trust contributed around £900,000 towards the stand and the old terraces were demolished in the summer of 1995 and the new stand was brought into use for the final few games of the 1995-96 season. Initially sponsored by Freemans, it became the Thomas Cook Family Stand before the start of the 1999-2000, then the Norwich & Peterborough Building Society Family Stand and it is now the BGL Stand.
Little has changed to the London Road terraces since the 1950s, though they have been re-roofed and fitted with extended crush barriers to comply with increased safety requirements. Here are photo’s of the London Road terrace and entrance.
As with the London Road terraces little changed to Moy’s End since a project in 1953 covered the terraces until 2013 when the terrace was demolished to make way for an all seater stand. Here is a photo of the entrance to Moys End and some of the inside of Moys End just before it was demolished.
Special thanks to ‘uplandswolf’ who provided us with the above photograph for this page of the museum.
Now some photos of Moys End as it is now (the Motorpoint Stand).
The new all seater stand was originally designed as a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Centre, but in March 2015 a planning application was put in to Peterborough City Council to change its use from education to business. As a result not-for-profit organisation Allia now runs the centre which homes ABAX, Opportunity Peterborough and Lark Energy businesses.
In November 2014 the club announced that they and ABAX, a vehicle tracking company, had agreed a sponsorship deal which resulted in the ground being renamed the ABAX Stadium.
We hope you have enjoyed our short story of the London Road ground and if you have any information or photographs of London Road that are not on this page and would like adding, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org