Wellingborough v Posh 2nd Qualifying Rd 16 Oct 1948

Venue: The Dog and Duck, Wellingborough

Attendance: 2,888

Score: Wellingborough Town 2 v Peterborough Utd 3

Referee: D.R. Wildman

When the Peterborough Utd and Wellingborough teams trooped off the Dog and Duck pitch the unhappiest man was Bailey the Doughboys’ goalkeeper.

Four minutes from the end, when the teams were sharing four goals, Glyn Vaughan tried a chance shot from just inside the penalty area. The ball rocketed towards the corner of the net and Bailey earned the applause of the crowd with what seemed a magnificent one-handed save. Then he appeared to slip in the mud at the same time pulled the ball down underneath the bar. It dropped on to the goal line and before he could recover it had trickled into the net.

And so the United entered the Divisional Final of the FA Cup after 90 minutes of gruelling football played in torrential rain.

Despite the result Wellingborough supporters had no grumbles, and if the score had been reversed it is doubtful whether those who travelled from Peterborough would have begrudged Wellingborough victory. Conditions after the first ten minutes were so bad that that anything could have happened, and in the circumstances it would be unfair to pick a weakness in either side.

Only in the first ten minutes did Midland League class show itself, and during that time Peterborough completely outplayed the home team. The forwards found each other beautifully, and it seemed that Wellingborough were in for a thorough trouncing.

It was no surprise when the United took the lead after only six minutes’ play. From a corner Johnny McGuinn placed the ball wide of the Wellingborough defenders bunched in the goalmouth, and it was an easy task for Tommy Rickards, unmarked, to run onto it and crack into the roof of the net.

Time and time again, the Doughboys were foiled by Jim Fallon, who alone seemed to glory in the mud. It was no small measure due to him that Wellingborough’s first goal did not come until eight minutes from the interval.

Jones, the former Peterborough player, who was the inspiration of the Wellingborough forward line, cleverly put the ball behind Cyril Parrott and before the left back could turn around Knott fastened on to it, ran into the goal area and loosed a terrific shot which Posh goalkeeper Bob Ferguson had no earthly chance of saving.

After the interval the United began to play Wellingborough at their own game, and in the 57th minute Glyn Vaughan punched the ball well forward for Harold Huxford to take it in his stride, outpace two defenders, and slam it by the advancing Bailey.

With ten minutes to go Bernie Bryan jumped for the ball and missed, Nearney was on it in a flash and again Ferguson had no chance of saving. Six minutes later came Vaughan’s goal which spelled “finis” to Wellingborough’s cup career.

Gross receipts from the game were £140 6s.


The Posh: Bob Ferguson, Bernie Bryan, Cyril Parrott, Jim Harkin, Jim Fallon, Bert Cockroft, Johnny McGuinn, Tommy Rickards, Harold Huxford, Glyn Vaughan and Billy Guest.

Wellingborough Town: Bailey, Parker, Byles, Kennedy, Hawtin, Evenden, J. Doolan, Knott, Nearney, Jones and Draper.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Tommy Rickards 6 mins, Glyn Vaughan 86 mins and Harold Huxford 57 mins. Wellingborough Town – Knott 37 mins and Nearney 80 mins.