Posh v Grimsby Town FA Cup 2nd Rd – 6 Dec 2003

Venue: London Road, Peterborough

Attendance: 4,836 (1,003 away)

Score:  Peterborough Utd 3 v Grimsby Town 2

Referee: Keith Hall.

It was certainly nerve wrecking for the fans, but the Posh hung on for a 3-2 win over Grimsby Town and the club officials can look forward to the third round trip to Coventry City on Saturday 3rd January.

Grimsby made the most of the early running in the game and the opening five minutes were predominantly played in Posh’s defensive third.

The Mariners pressed and Iffy Onuora got around the back at a corner kick, but his header found the side netting.

Phil Jevons then tested Posh goalkeeper Mark Tyler with a skidding effort after a spell of pressure from Posh, which lifted the home faithful inside London Road.

Posh had appeals for a penalty kick turned down by the referee just after the quarter hour after David Farrell’s goal bound shot appeared to hit the arm of Grimsby’s Tony Crane.

Posh were the denied by the foot of the pot as a superb run and cross from Adam Newton found Leon McKenzie’s head following good build up play. The ball was hen hacked away for a corner kick, which defender Mark Arber headed wide of the target.

The deadlock was broken on 22 minutes and it was a superb goal from striker Andy Clarke who lobbed the ball over Grimsby goalkeeper Aidan Davison with his right foot after Matthew Gill found the former Wimbledon front man inside the area with a left foot cross.

The lead didn’t last long as the returning Jevons curled a free kick past Tyler with the aid of a deflection off Gareth Jelleyman after Simon Rea had given away a free kick on the edge of the area.

It was all action stuff and McKenzie fizzed a shot across goal with his right foot after a neat slide rule pass from Newton as the home side pushed forward to try and regain the lead.

Clarke saw a shot blocked by Jason Crowe after turning on the edge of the area as the chances continued to be created by the hosts at London Road.

Posh didn’t take long to get their noses back in front as within the first few moments of the second half, midfielder Steve Thomson ran onto McKenzie’s through ball and finished in style, drilling the ball into the corner of the net. Thomson signed a contract extension during the week and he celebrated the news in fine style.

Some poor Posh defending and a miss placed punch from Tyler allowed Jevons to have a strike at goal, but his volley went wide. Grimsby wasted a glorious chance to get back into the game on 64 minutes as substitute Marcel Cas played a simple ball behind Jevons with the strike unmarked and then Welsh international Darren Barnard lashed an effort way over the crossbar from 25 yards.

Posh made it 3-1 on 65 minutes against the run of play as winger Newton drilled a superb low effort into the bottom corner past Davison after some persistent play from Curtis Woodhouse in the midfield area.

It was nearly 4-1 to Barry Fry’s men as Newton headed the ball into the path of McKenzie, but his header was well saved by Davison, who threw himself to his right.

Thomson saw a shot blocked and then Rea volleyed wide before Grimsby made a switch with Darren Mansaram replacing Onuora. Jevons wasted a good opportunity on 78 minutes as he looped a header well over the top when left unmarked in the area.

Indecision in the Posh back line allowed Grimsby to get back into the game, Tyler made a good first save, but Mansaram headed onto the crossbar and the rebound was headed home by Cas.

Grimsby were piling players forward now with manager Paul Groves urging his side forward.

Jevons was inches away from levelling the score on 86 minutes as Cas pulled the ball back to the six yard box, somehow the striker screwed his effort a matter of inches past the far post.

The fourth official indicated three minutes of stoppage time, which only added to the nerves for the fans, but Posh held on.


The Posh: Mark Tyler, Matthew Gill, Simon Rea, Mark Arber, David Farrell, Adam Newton, Andy Clarke (sub Richard Logan), Leon McKenzie, Curtis Woodhouse, Gareth Jelleyman and Steve Thomson. Unused subs: Andy Legg, Sagi Burton, Christopher Kanu and James Pullen.

Grimsby Town: Aidan Davison, John McDermott, Darren Barnrad (sub Greg Young), Tony Crane, Stuart Campbell, Phil Jevons, Des Hamilton, Iain Anderson (sub Marcel Cas), Mike Edwards, Jason Crowe and Iffy Onuora (sub Darren Mansaram). Unused subs: Paul Groves and Bradley Hughes.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Andy Clarke 22 mins, Steve Thomson 47 mins and Adam Newton 65 mins. Grimsby Town – Phil Jevons 24 mins and Marcel Cas 84 mins.

Cautions: Simon Rea (Posh), Tony Crane, Des Hamilton and Jason Crowe (Grimsby Town).