Hayes v Peterborough Utd FA Cup 1st Rd Replay 21 Nov 1989

Venue: Church Road, Hayes, London

Attendance: 4,524

Score: Peterborough Utd 1 v Hayes 0

Officials: Peter Foakes, Rob Harris, D. Madgwick and R.Mitchell.

Mark Lawrenson’s claims that a FA Cup winning team need luck on their side could be proved right again this season.

But as far as Posh are concerned, their luck must be running very thin.

For the second match in succession, the London Road outfit could so easily have been dumped out of the competition by a never say die Hayes side.

Throughout 90 minutes of typical cup action, the non leaguers again came so close to causing an upset and securing a place in the second round.

Only an impressive piece of goalkeeping by the recalled Tony Godden, downright bad luck, one upright and two disallowed goals ensured Posh overcame their non-league opponents to earn a trip to Third Division Swansea. However that came as rough justice for west London side.

They hustled and bustled for long periods and in Neil Fraser had a player who returned to haunt Mark Lawrenson’s side in the same manner as he did in the previous 1-1 game at London Road.

In fact, Fraser came close to giving his side a 7th minute lead when he was put through by Darren Seabrook  before the advancing Tony Godden came to the rescue with a stunning save.

Godden’s return to the Posh goal for the first time since early September inspired the team and they took the lead themselves 2 minutes later.

From Garry Butterworth’s curling corner, central defender Dave Robinson rose above everyone in the goalmouth before smashing a bullet header beyond goalkeeper Paul Hyde.

Five minutes later the Hayes keeper was in the thick of the action again but this time he produced a superb save from Paul Culpin’s shot which he turned around a post.

But if the travelling Posh fans were expecting a rout, they were soon to be disappointed.

Their Vauxhall Opel opponents refused to be overawed by the occasion and when they settled into their stride they attacked the Posh with venom.

In the 30th minute Hayes’ Alan Ardren hit a blockbusting shot off an upright and the ball somehow stayed out of the net in the ensuing scramble.

And Lawrenson’s lucky charms were called upon 10 minutes later when Hayes had a goal disallowed after Gerry McElhinney had turned in Neil Fraser’s cross.

While the London Road outfit survived to the interval, they could so easily have lost the tie in a nerve wracking second half.

After controlling the first period and with Milton Graham showing some nice touches in midfield, Posh sat back and it nearly proved fatal.

After 73 minutes the impressive Fraser was causing havoc again and it needed another fine save from Godden to keep the Posh in front.

Despite Hayes looking the better side in attack, they just could not find a way through.

Although Noel Luke went through a game he would rather forget, his centre backs McElhinney and Robinson more than compensated and were called to the rescue on a number of occasions.

It was just as well because Posh nearly  shot themselves in the foot in the last few minutes.

They survived a series of scrambles in their area and hung on by the skin of their teeth.

Hayes defender Jason Court actually found the net with 9 minutes remaining but a linesman’s flag ruled out the attempt.


The Posh: Tony Godden, Noel Luke, Phil Crosby, Mick Halsall, Dave Robinson, Gerry McElhinney, Worrell Sterling, Paul Culpin (Steve Osborne 77 mins), Carl Richards, Milton Graham and Garry Butterworth.

Unused Sub: David Harle.

Hayes: Paul Hyde, Jason Court, Taylor, Alan Ardren, Leather, Dixon (Whiskey 80 mins), Paul Barrowcliffe, Roy Marshall, Darren Seabrook, Neil Fraser and Walton.

Unused sub: Smales.

Goal scorer: The Posh – Dave Robinson 9 mins.