Cambridge Utd v Posh Nationwide League Division 2 – 29 Dec 01

Venue: Abbey Stadium, Cambridge

Attendance: 5,665 (1,044 Posh fans)

Score: Cambridge Utd 0 v Peterborough Utd 0

Officials: Michael Dean, R. Pashely , R. Martin and Grant Hegley

The Posh could somehow only manage a point at local rivals Cambridge United despite dominating the attacking raids, seeing three efforts rebound off the woodwork, and a further strike from Marc Joseph disallowed for offside.

The post denied the returning Leon McKenzie with a header in the first half and a low shot in the second, While Neale Fenn also clattered an upright.

Posh began the local derby affair the livelier of the two sides, winning two corners in the opening two minutes. From Tom Williams’ second flag-kick, David Farrell sent a 20-yard volleyed effort crashing over the crossbar, and from even further distance moments on Jimmy Bullard rifled a powerful free-kick towards goal, although his shot was too close to the body of Lionel Perez.

McKenzie headed a Williams cross onto the foot of the post after seven minutes with the visitors piling on much of the pressure, and Farrell came extremely close again soon after with a fierce half-volley that brought a flying stop from French goalkeeper Perez.

Cambridge’s first attempt at goal arrived on 12 minutes when Mark Tyler clutched onto a looping Daniel Chillingworth header from a sweeping right-wing Tony Scully cross, and Posh thought they had found a breakthrough 10 minutes later.

A Williams free-kick 25 yards from goal ricocheted off the wall and fell to Joseph who, but for the assistant referee’s raised flag, would have been celebrating his return to the Abbey Stadium with a goal after scrambling the ball into the net.

Posh came close again as Ciaran Toner slotted a delicate ball through to Fenn, who had his low shot saved by Perez at the near post.

The home side had appeals for a penalty rejected after Chillingworth went down in the area, before another McKenzie header almost resulted in a deadlock breaker at the other end again when Luke Guttridge was called upon to claw the ball off the goal line.

Posh were continuing to dominate the match in attack after the break and should have found an opener through Andy Edwards, but the visiting captain blazed Bullard’s corner over the bar after sliding in at the far post.

Farrell began to weave his magic midway through the second period and it was his ball forward that deflected off Stevland Angus and found McKenzie in a good position, but the club’s leading scorer cracked his effort against the upright once again.

The same piece of woodwork was to deny Posh once more on 70 minutes, after Tyler’s long ball forward found the path of Neale Fenn, who ran into the six yard box and tucked the ball under Perez’s body and onto the post.

Cambridge had the ball into the back of the net with a quarter of an hour left on the clock, but similarly to Joseph’s misfortune in the first half Shane Tudor had his low strike disallowed for offside.

The U’s could have wrapped the match up in the closing stages when substitute Armand One was superbly denied by an excellent last-ditch tackle from Simon Rea.



Cambridge Utd: Lionel Perez, Andy Duncan, Stevland Angus, Paul Wanless, Tom Youngs (sub Armand One 58min), Luke Guttridge, Tony Scully (sub Scott Taylor 84min), Shane Tudor, Adam Tann, Daniel Chillingworth and Fred Murray

Unused subs: Terry Fleming, Shaun Marshall and Neil Mustoe Posh: Mark Tyler, Marc Joseph, Simon Rea, Andy Edwards, David Farrell, David Oldfield, Tom Williams, Jimmy Bullard, Leon McKenzie, Neale Fenn (sub Clarke 89min) and Ciaran Toner.

Unused subs: Dennis Pearce, Dan Connor, Howard Forinton and Gary MacDonald

Bookings: Jimmy Bullard and David Oldfield (Posh)