AFC Bournemouth v Posh Nationwide League Div 2 – 2 March 02

Venue: Dean Court, Bournemouth

Attendance: 5,163

Score: AFC Bournemouth 0 v Peterborough Utd 2

Officials: Paul Rejer

Peterborough United achieved their first league ‘double’ of the season and their first victory for 11 Second Division matches when they saw off relegation threatened side AFC Bournemouth 2-0 at Dean Court- and that after seeing Marc Joseph controversially sent off one minute before half-time

Bournemouth had much of the early pressure and Wade Elliott saw a half-volleyed effort clip the top of the crossbar on six minutes, but it was Posh who took the lead with an extraordinary effort less than 60 seconds later.

Playing his third game since returning from a year-long absence through injury, Matthew Gill saw an ambitious shot from a wide angle loop over the head of the goalkeeper Gareth Stewart and nestle into the back of the net.

Three minutes later David Farrell was unlucky to see a diving header fly over the bar after Howard Forinton has crossed from the right hand side, before the blond-haired winger provided a teasing cross that just eluded Leon McKenzie at the far post.

Tom Williams made a bursting run through the Bournemouth half on 21 minutes but he could not find the finish to match as he dragged his shot well wide of the upright.

Farrell then sent a volley fizzing past the same post just after the half-hour mark, and the same player won a corner from the left flank with ten minutes to go before half time.

Gill was the flag-kick taker in the absence of Jimmy Bullard and the goal scorer picked skipper Andy Edwards, who sent a thumping header inches wide of the framework.

Edwards connected again to a William corner on 40 minutes, but the home side were able to clear their lines following a goalmouth scramble.

The 44th minute saw Marc Joseph receive the red card after he was adjudged to have brought down Hayter with the nippy front man through on goal, but Barry Fry’s men were able to hold on to their one-goal lead for the remainder of the opening period.

The advantage quickly became a two-goal lead as McKenzie rose to head home a 47th minute Williams free kick and mark his return to the action with his 12th of the season.

Two Bournemouth substitutes combined to pressurise the Posh goal with 54 minutes on the clock, but Warren Feeny glanced his header wide of the back post after Neil Young had crossed from the right.

Bournemouth felt they should have been awarded a penalty on 63 minutes when Hayter fell under the challenge of Simon Rea, but when the ball was released to the edge of the penalty box it took a full-stretch save from Tyler to tip over a looping effort from Elliott.

Young looked to set himself up with a chance ten minutes from time when shooting from distance, but the section of home supporters behind Tyler’s goal.

Holmes then had the goal at his mercy in the 83rd minute, but he failed to connect at all to Hayter’s ball across the six-yard box.

Despite being reduced to ten man late in the First half, Posh had put on a brave workmanlike display and thoroughly deserved the three points to haul themselves away from the Division Two relegation zone.


AFC Bournemouth: Gareth Stewart, Jason Tindall (sub Neil Young 46min), Shaun Maher, Eddie Howe, Kieran McAnespie (sub Warren Feeney 46min), Wade Elliott, Garreth O’Connor, Stephen Purches, Danny Thomas, Derek Holmes and James Hayter

Unused subs: Chukki Eribenne, Tresor Kandol and James Ford Posh: Mark Tyler, Marc Joseph, Andy Edwards, Simon Rea, Tom Williams, David Oldfield, Matthew Gill, Tony Shields (sub Helgi Danielsson 90min), David Farrell, Howard Forinton (sub Francis Green 82min) and Leon McKenzie

Unused subs: Gary MacDonald, Neale Fenn and Dan Connor.

Goal scorers: Matthew Gill 7 mins and Leon McKenzie 47 mins.

Bookings: Tony Shields – Posh. Neil Young – Bournemouth.

Sending Off: Marc Joseph (Posh)