Posh v Kidderminster Harriers FA Cup 1st Rd – 13 Nov 1965

Venue: London Road, Peterborough

Attendance: 11,709

Score: Peterborough Utd 2 v Kidderminster Harriers 1

Referee: W.M Holian.

The Posh, perhaps at the time, the most famous of all Cup giant-killers, nearly had a taste of their own medicine from non-league Kidderminster.

With the cameras of Anglia TV in the Glebe Road camera accommodation to film the match for the ‘Match of the Week’ programme the West Midland champions gave the Posh many anxious moments before going out.

Inside forward Peter Deakin scored the Posh’s two goals but missed a second half penalty just before Dave Gilbert put his side back in the picture by making it 1-1.

The only first haf goal after four minutes and gave Kidderminster early warning that their normal pace would not be quick enough.

The entire defence stood still while Deakin pounced on a pass from Johnny Byrne; they were still omly thinking about moving when the inside forward’s 25 yard shot hit the net.

The rest of the game they speeded up, and with the help of some poor shooting fro the Posh kept the home side at bay for the rest of the half.

28 year old Kidderminster goalkeeper Tony Wilcox , signed from Barnsley at the start of the 1965/66 season , covered himself in glory when he tipped a 40 yard drive from full back Ian Crawford on to the post.

But Wilcox had even more honours heaped on him six minutes after the interval. A penalty kick was was awarded by referee Mr Holian when Deakin was brought down by wing half Jimmy Henderson.Skipper Vic Crowe gave Deakin a word of encouragement as he moved up to take the penalty kick. However, Wilcox dived to save the spot kick, which was Deakin’s second successive penalty miss at home.

The save spurred Harriers into action and Peter Wassell set up Dave Gilbert with a pass in the 61st minute which at first he failed to control, however he recovered and equalised with a low shot from close range.

The goal shook the Posh and ten minutes after the Kidderminster goal they almost took a sensational lead when Peter Wassell burst through. His shot was on its way to the net when goalkeeper Willie Duff fingertipped it on to the post and caught the rebound.

Within a minute the great Kidderminster challenge was over. Tommy Watson squared the ball to Deakin who netted off the bar with a shot from 25 yards.

It was the visitors who were the stronger at the end and twice Crawford cleared from the six yard area.

The final tragedy came in the last seconds.

Bernard Gosling hit a hard cross from the right and full back Peter Johnson rushed in and cracked the ball against his own crossbar.

It bounced high in the air and fell over for a corner.

There was hardly time for the kick to be taken before the final whistle brought relief to the Posh.

All in all Kiddeminster were rather unlucky not to get another chance. They were defeated, but not disgraced. In fact, the whole Kidderminster party left London Road rightly proud of the performance.


The Posh: Willie Duff, Peter Johnson, Ian Crawford, Vic Crowe, Frank Rankmore, Harry Orr, Tommy Watson, Peter Deakin, Barrie Gould, Peter Deakin and Ron Barnes.

Kidderminster Harriers: Tony Wilcox, Dunn, Logan, Cox, Eden, Jimmy Henderson, Dave Gilbert, B. Wassall, Peter Wassall, Bernard Gosling and Dixon.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Peter Deakin (2) 4 mins & 72 mins. Kidderminster – Dave Gilbert 61 mins.