Posh v Arsenal FA Cup 4th Rd – 30 Jan 1965

Venue: London Road, Peterborough

Attendance: 30,056

Score: Peterborough Utd 2 v Arsenal 1

Officials: Jim Finney, A. Johnson and Ray Johnson.

Peter McNamee, the Scottish outside left who is the only survivor of Peterborough’s giant killing days as a non league club, shot Arsenal out of the cup five minutes from the end of this sensational match.

A goal which came when Arsenal, not Posh, were going all out for a winner.

It was to relieve the pressure that centre half Frank Rankmore headed clear to left winger McNamee. At that moment a counter attack looked innocuous. But McNamee flashed the ball out to Ronnie Barnes, who had switched to the left wing, and his return pass was cracked in first time by the jubilant McNamee.

It was indeed a memorable climax for Barnes. Just 12 minutes earlier, from his natural right wing spot, he had sent the flamboyant Irish giant Derek Dougan through the middle to stroke a left footed equaliser wide of the advancing Burns.

So Arsenal become the only First Division club to crash to Posh.

They must still be wondering what hit them (twice) after seeming to take complete command in the second half. And they have no sympathy if they find it hard to believe how Willie Duff, the former Charlton keeper, stopped them in a fantastic finish.

Duff made four stupendous saves in those last 17 minutes from Baker (twice), Skirton and Eastham.

But then a cup crazed town will rightly tell you every Peterborough player was a hero. And nobody did more than Oliver Conmy, a diminutive dynamo from County Mayo.

Conmy never stopped running throughout the 90 minutes, the link man who constantly turned defence into attack. It was almost ironical he had no direct part in either of the Posh goals.

Oddly enough, Arsenal had some of their worst moments in the first half. Dougan constantly beating Ure in the air was inches wide of the far post with one header from a Birks free kick – and Burns had to make a flying save from McNamee.

Yet Duff at the other end still had not made a worthwhile save when Arsenal snatched the lead in the 43rd minute.

The ‘score’ was six corners each until Eastham took the 13th of the match on the right wing, and Radford – on the far post – slammed in a superb goal.

Perhaps Arsenal were too casual, as the feeling spread that they just couldn’t lose. They now better now – and every Posh fan who ran on the pitch at the final whistle will certainly never let them forget it.

Arsenal manager Billy Wright said: “I’m too disappointed for words now. I shall leave it till Monday to talk it over with the lads.”


The Posh: Willie Duff, Ron Cooper, Graham Birks, Vic Crowe, Frank Rankmore, Harry Orr, Ron Barnes, Ollie Conmy, Derek Dougan, Peter Deakin and Peter McNamee.

Arsenal: Tony Burns, Don Howe, Fred Clarke, Frank McLintock, Ian Ure, David Court, Alan Skirton, John Radford, Joe Baker, George Eastham and George Armstrong.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Derek Dougan 72 mins and Peter McNamee 85 mins. Arsenal – John Radford 43mins.