Posh v Rushden Town FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Rd 31 Oct 1936

Venue: London Road, Peterborough

Attendance: 3,572

Score: Peterborough Utd 4 v Rushden Town 2

Referee: F. W. Smart

 Memories of the good old days were revived when Rushden visited London Road and were beaten 4-2.

Supporters were dubious when they learned that Harry Roberts had been entrusted with the leadership of the attack, but the experiment was altogether successful. Roberts, besides scoring two delightful goals with his head, made many another opening in all but impossible circumstances. His display was his best of the season, but it can be said that he stood out above his fellows.

Until a safe lead was established Posh played sparkling football in attack and dourly in defence. The wing forwards fairly skimmed over the heavy ground, and like the rest of the front line, made a tricky, greasy ball do just as they wished. Rushden’s defence had its greatest trial of the season and proved unequal to the strain.

The visitors, too, made an experiment. They dropped Hindmarsh from the attack, because, it was said, he was too slow for cup-tie football.Be that as it may, they sorely missed his clever generalship, and with Frank Froggart most effectively ‘bottling’ that prolific scorer Mickey Eyre, and the inside men totally innocuous, the Rushden attack had a far from happy afternoon, in spite of zeal and courage of the wing men.

Until a 4-0 lead inclined them to slack a little, the Posh backs played splendidly, and Bisby in particular hardly ever put a foot wrong. Kendall played his usual excellent game, but rather blotted his copybook by letting a ball go outside when it wasn’t doing any such thing!

In the first few minutes the spectators saw that Posh really meant business. The ball had hardly been set in motion before Froggart sent Jackie Wilson through. Murray miskicked, and from Wilson’s centre Roberst shot on the run to miss by a foot with Wallington well beaten. Roberts gave the Posh the lead in 7 minutes, however, Sims placed a corner kick dead in the centre of the goalmouth, and Wallington only succeeded in deflecting the ball with one hand to the centre forward, who coolly headed a glorious goal.

Rushden were completely on the defence, and it was a quarter of an hour before Kendall had a shot to save, Bland sending in a free kick from 30 yards’ range which the goalkeeper smartly fielded. From Peacock’s pass Harrison neatly turned the ball with his head towards a corner of the net, but Kendall saved again. A lightning run took Edwards clean through the Posh’s defence, and his centre found Harrison unmarked, but the inside right shot well wide of the mark.

The Posh were not long subdued, and Wallington had to clear a header from Jackie Wilson and a clever overhead shot by Sims. A neat triangular movement by Briggs, Bisby and Sims baffled the defence and Wallington missed the ball as Briggs centred, but Roberts and Wilson failed in their efforts to rush it in. After half an hour a scrimmage developed round the Rushden goal, and Briggs, hovering just inside the penalty area, pounced on a loose clearance and drove the ball back to the net at terrific speed. A moment later Briggs slipped the ball into the centre when the defence expected a wing pass, and Wallington dashed out and dived full length to scoop the ball off Jackie Wilson’s toes.

Near the interval the Posh attained their best form. Jackie Wilson supplied Roberts with a clever pass and the centre forward immediately back heeled to Briggs whose fierce first timer cleared the bar by inches. A neat move by Sims and Briggs produced the third goal – the best of the day. Sims passed to Briggs, and took up a position inside the back to receive the ball again. His centre was travelling fast and Roberts flung himself at it to head a picture goal. Straight from the centre Sims was away again, and Wallington, knocking the ball against Rigby was lucky to catch it on the rebound.

Rushden were more enterprising in the second half, and Eyre, bearing out to the right, sent in a fine high shot, which Kendall turned round a post. From the corner Kendall went full length to save Markham’s shot at the expense of another flag kick. Posh retaliated sharply, and a shot by Briggs from 40 yards out all but beat Wallington, the goalkeeper reaching the ball on the line. A fine effort by Peacock hit the bar, and from the rebound Edwards attempted to rush the ball in, but Bisby intercepted the shot. From the corner Eyre sent in a dangerous header, but Charlie Wilson cleared at a yards range, with Kendall at the other end of the goal.

Profiting by these escapes, the Posh went away to score the fourth goal. Chiverton, Briggs and Sims participated in a triangular move which drew the defence, and left Jackie Wilson unmarked to receive Sims centre and go on to beat Wallington. Ten minutes from the end Rowbotham fouled Peacock in the penalty area, and Inwood scored from the spot. Rushden made a determined rally and when Kendall knocked Peacock’s shot against the  bar Charlie Wilson cleared with an overhead kick.

With three minutes to go Chiverton fouled Edwards, and from Inwood’s free kick Eyre headed an easy goal. Kendall made no effort to save, apparently thinking the ball was going over.


The Posh: Jack Kendall, Charlie Wilson, Charlie Bisby, Sam Rowbotham, Ted Chiverton, T. Froggart, Jackie Wilson, Harry Roberts, Billy Rigby, Jack Briggs and Syd Sims.

Rushden Town: Wallington, Inwood, Patenall, Bland, Markham, Murray, Edwards, Harrison, Eyre, Hillyard and Peacock.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Harry Roberts (2) 7 & 43 mins, Jack Briggs 30 mins and Jackie Wilson 4 mins. Rushden Town – Inwood 80 mins and Eyre 87 mins.