Kettering Town v Posh FA Cup 1st Qualifying Rd 3 Oct 1936

Venue: Rockingham Road, Kettering

Attendance: 3,250

Score: Kettering Town 0 v Peterborough Utd 2

Referee: C. J. Barrick

A 2-0 victory at Kettering saw Peterborough Utd win in the FA Cup for the first time and safely through to the second qualifying round of the FA Cup.

This match was a game of thrills and unusual incidents. Each side had a penalty for hands refused: each side unsuccessfully claimed that the ball had crossed the line before the goalkeeper cleared; and a linesman was seized with cramp and had to give up his job!

Peterborough in the first half played delightful football – admirably constructed at break neck speed, and for a change, with unnecessary frills cut out. Their perseverance against a dour and hard tackling defence richly earned the 1-0 lead at the interval.

In the second half it was an altogether different story. Kettering were undisputed top dogs in midfield, their attack was as good as Peterborough’s had been. Fortunately Froggart kept at Goode’s heels and an otherwise perfectly moving front line was handicapped by the absence of the centre link. Kendall too, was in magnificent form, and there’s no doubt that he saved Peterborough in that last gruelling forty five minutes.

There was an early thrill when a pass back to Tarrantwas chased by Sims, Briggs and Chiverton. The goalkeeper reached it first, but was bowled over by Sims, who was cautioned by the refereefor his tactics. Dunkley’s speed beat Bisby and from his centre Froggart could only concede a corner which Rowbotham cleared.

After a quarter of an hour Stokes was beaten by the bounce of a forward pass and Chiverton had a shot saved at full length by Tarrant. The goalkeeper saved a swerving shot from Jackie Wilson. Peterborough played skillfully and the Kettering defenders were worried into making many slips. After twenty minutes a great free kick by Hargeaves rebounded from the bar, and Briggs header was well saved by the goalkeeper.

Kettering played fast football and should have scored when Orton received in front of goal from Dunkley , but he failed to gather the ball.

Kendall caught a great shot from Clark just under the bar and at the opposite end Tarrant fielded Hargreaves ‘free’ from 30 yards range.

Kettering were unlucky not to gain the lead when following a goalmouth scramble Bisby headed out of his goalkeepers hands, the ball just clearing the bar.

However after 34 minutes Wilson’s centre was turned goalwards by Sims and Tarrant pushed the ball out to Chiverton who crashed it into the net from six yards out.

Three minutes later Chiverton had another great chance when Rigby slipped the ball through, but his close range shot was a foot off the target. Five minutes from the interval Kendall finely saved Orton’s header off Dunkley’s centre.

Jackie Wilson was unfortunate not to add to the lead when he collided with Tarrant in meeting Chiverton’s square pass. The ball beat the Kettering man but spun almost on the goal line until Stokes cut back and cleared.

Right on half time Bisby failed to hold the home right wing pair and Kendall flung himself down to push Stokes shot out. Robinson retrieved the balll and when Charlie Wilson charged his shot down the referee waved aside Kettering’s confident appeal for a penalty. Peterborough swept straight down and Chiverton headed against the bar with Tarrant well beaten.

Kettering resumed with tremendous dash and Kendall pushed out two shots from Robinson in as many minutes. A fierce rising drive from Dunkley just cleared the mark and Kendall saved from Goode, who had cleverly lifted the ball over Froggart and Bisby.

Kettering resorted to shock tactics, the typical kick and rush of senior cup tie football but, the Peterborough defence  refused to be rattled. On the other hand the visitors seldom failed to pass the Kettering backs, and in the first fifteen minutes after the change of ends only Jackie Wilson and Hargreaves gave Tarrant trouble.

Kendall was heartil cheered for a brilliant full length save when Goode fired in a left foot pile driver, and he regained his feet just in time to pull down Dunkley’s centre. Kendall was there again when Robinson’s centre landed dangerously in a bunch of Kettering forwards.

The hopes of the Peterborough contingent ran high when Chiverton beat Stokes in a tussle , but his shot went straight at Tarrant. The equaliser should have come midway through the half, when Goode took up Dunkley’s low pass at five yards range, but in trying to tap the ball into a corner of the net he missed the goal altogether.

Tarrant wasin difficulties with Rigby’s long droppoing shotand he only just managed to push the ball over the bar.

Twelve minutes from the end Crawford’s free kick found Orton nicely placed but his graet drive went straight to Kendall. Kettering unsuccessfully claimed that the goalkeeper stepped back over the line with the ball.

There was an almost identical incident at the other end in the next minute when Chiverton met the ball after Jackie Wilson’s lob had beaten the advancing goalkeeper. Tarrant scrambling back into position was struck by the ball and he back heeled into play, and this time Peterborough’s appeal for a goal failed.

From Sims centre Briggs hooked the ball towards a corner of the net, but  Tarrant flying himself across the goal to save. Kettering crowded on pressure in the last five minutes but were cooly met. Two minutes from the end Kettering’s fate was sealed.

Jackie Wilson raced away, lobbed the ball over, and saw it rebound from the inside of one post to the other and into the net.


The Posh: Jack Kendall, Charlie Wilson, Charlie Bisby, Sam Rowbotham, T. Froggart, Len Hargreaves, Jackie Wilson, Billy Rigby, Ted Chiverton, Jack Briggs and Syd Sims.

Kettering Town: Tarrant, Brown, Stokes, Crawford, Clark, Smith, Dunkley, Robinson, Spokes, Goode and Orton.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Ted Chiverton 34 mins and Jackie Wilson 90 mins.