Posh v Northampton Town 2nd Rd Proper 14 Dec 1946

Venue: London Road, Peterborough

Attendance: 7,793

Score: Peterborough Utd 1 v Northampton Town 1

Referee: F.L. Criggs

There was not after all a new record when the United drew 1-1 with Northampton in the FA Cup second round. The attendance was 7,793, including 767 through the boys gate.

The United did not have the services of Jim Smith who still had his fractured ankle bone in plaster or Ernest Beardshaw who was still in hospital though expected to be discharged an day.

The meeting though produced hair raising treats which had the crowd yelling deliriously from beginning to end.

The class of football was of the brand labelled “cup-tie”. Considering the conditions – a soggy ground and a steady drizzle made the ball do all manner of unpredictable tricks – there were far fewer mistakes than one might have expected.

Northampton showed in attack a few flashes of the copybook stuff, but the United countered it with vigorous defensive play, in which Warnes and Silcocks were heroic.

The backs and wing halves were great stoppers and, what is more, the latter parted with the ball skilfully and accurately.

United richly deserved the right to fight again. Northampton had by far the more chances, but somehow it seemed inconceivable that they would win. It was exhilarating to see Peterborough so evidently on their mettle.

Northampton were better served in defence than attack. Barron, a steady and resourceful left-back, and Lowery , right half, caught the eye. Fast and tricky wingers, made many chances, which were wasted by the inside men trying to walk the ball through.

Northampton had all the luck that was going in the first half. Jones, after making a thrilling save from Bramham, dropped the ball three times in ten minutes.  First he was rattled by when Bramham chivvied him, and appeared to hang on to the centre forwards jersey to prevent him from reaching the ball. The referee, however, waved aside a confident appeal for a penalty for obstruction. The second time the backs scraped the ball out of the goalmouth, and the third, Barron slid it off the line.

Cobblers took the lead in the 26th minute, Garrett scoring an opportunist goal when Parrott’s clearance rebounded off Mitchell.

The equaliser 13 minutes later, was the result of a classic move. Warnes stopped a centre rush and pushed the ball forward to Mitchell. The captain made 30 yards or so, feinted to pass to Rudkin but sent instead an in-swinger to Padgett, who flicked the ball on for Bramham to score with a grand shot.

It was Bramham’s first goal in 13 games, in ten of which he has played centre forward.

The pace in the second half worked up to a tremendous crescendo, with both sides making all-out onslaughts.

Silcocks saved grandly from Lowery and Morrall and Northampton’s luck held when Rudkin’s shot beat Jones but hit Barron.

Northampton could have made sure two minutes from the end, when, in semi-darkness, Thompson crashed through. Blunt took up the running but missed with a wild shot from two yards out.


The Posh: Len Silcocks, Bernie Bryan, Cyril Parrott, Tommy Rickards, Fred Warnes, Adam Mitchell, Alan Scobie, Nat Brooksbank, Arnold Bramham, John Padgett and Tommy Rudkin.

Northampton Town: John Jones, Tom Smalley, Bill Barron, Harry Lowery, Bob Dennison, Jack Sankey, Alf Morrall, Dave Smith, Archie Garrett, Harry Thompson and Edwin Blunt.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Arnold Bramham (39 mins). Northampton Town – Archie Garrett (26 mins).