Northampton Town v Posh 2nd Rd Proper Replay 19 Dec 1946

Venue: County Ground, Northampton

Attendance: 6,800

Score: Northampton Town 1 v Peterborough Utd 1

Referee: F.L. Criggs

Peterborough Utd were very confident when they visited Northampton in this FA Cup replay.

Hundreds of supporters made the journey by rail, bus and car, and blue and white favours could be seen dotted about in the crowd which, half an hour before the kick off, was estimated at about 5,000.

Travelling with the team was Mrs H. N. Jackson, who presented the players with a lucky rabbit’s foot , which she maintained had carried the team through the early rounds.

One of the first Peterborough supporters to reach Northampton was “Mr Posh”. Snow had been falling at intervals throughout the morning and this made the pitch as slippery as a skating rink.

Northampton won the toss. Peterborough started off promisingly, and it looked as if the left wing was to be early dangerous. But within a few minutes Northampton forwards got into their stride, and shots from Garrett were only just wide.

Then it was Peterborough’s turn, and they provided the first thrill. From a long forward pass from Padgett in the sixth minute Bramham beat Dennison, and passed neatly to Brooksbank, standing unmarked inside the penalty area. Unfortunately the ball bounced awkwardly, and a defender managed to slide it off his foot.The ball went out to Scobie, who drove it across the goalmouth to Rudkin, but the winger’s shot was blocked.

The United’s forwards were playing well togethe, and with Mitchell and Rickards keeping them well supplied with passes, they continually had the Northampton defence worried.

In the 11th minute Peterborough appealed for a penalty when the ball struck Dennison’s hand, but the referee waved play on.

At the other end Northampton had a good scoring chance but Silcocks ran out and kicked the ball from Morrall’s foot.

Peterborough were swinging the ball about, and the forwards looked dangerous. It was no surprise when they went ahead in the 19th minute.

Rickards made a long clearance, Mitchell gathered the ball, slipped it out to Rudkin, and from his pas, Padgett connected with a cross shot from 12 yards.

It was a grand pieceof work, which sent the Peterborough supporters into hysterics.

Five minutes later Northampton naerly equalised when Thompson got his head to a high centre, but Silcocks made a great save under the bar.

Peterborough had the narrowest of escapes in the 33rd minute when Silcocks dropped a shot from Garrett. The centre forward rushing in, swept the ball past a post.

Five minutes from the interval Garrett missed a sitter after a fine solo run. From five yards he shot well wide of the post with Silcocks beaten.

Northampton started the second half as if they meant it and for a few moments the Peterborough defenders had an anxious time. Throughout the play, Warnes , Brayn and Parrott had played brilliantly and they did not fail now. Warnes’ head seemed to be everywhere, every high ball he met with uncanny judgment.

The 50th minute had th crowd on their toes . Silcocks dropped a stinger from Garrett and it seemed a certain goal as Morrall rushed in. Fortunately for the United he sliced the ball and it spun well wide of the goal.

In the 53rd minute Warnes was injured, but was able to resume after attention.

Since half time it had been a real tussle between the Northampton forwards and the Peterborough defence. Northampton were having very few direct shots at goal, most being blocked before the ball had a chance to reach Silcocks. Play was rarely outside the United half and the Peterborough goal had narrow escapes.

Silcocks brought the house down with two brilliant saves both from close in, from Thompson and Garrett.

Sixty-three minutes had gone when Scobie broke away and ina 40 yard run he beat defender after defender. In trying to get the ball past Jones he put it just too far and it went well wide of a post.

A moment later Dennison took the ball off Bramham’s foot as he was about to shoot 10 yards out.

Soon Peterborough were penned in their own half again, and in the 70th minute they lost the lead. Thompson netting from a scramble in the goalmouth after Silcocks had brought off two fine saves from Garrett. Northampton deserved to be on level terms, for they were doing all the attacking.

After about 80 minutes. Peterborough made a comeback and the forwards settled down to a spell of attacking.

A Rudkin effort ought to have produced a goal. A long pass,  in midfield from Scobie was taken up by the United left winger who out-paced Dennison and lobbed the ball well over the head of the advancing goalkeeper. Unfortunately it was a little too high and the ball skimmed the bar.

If anything, the United forwards were more effectivewith the ball than their opponents, who were poor in front of goal.

Bramham and Rudkin often combined beautifully and they were the United’s most dangerous forwards.

In the last stages ofg the first 90 minutes both teams appeared to be very tired, but they seemed to possess new vitality as extra time opened.

Play quickly went from end to end, with Peterborough holding their own. The second half of extra time saw Brooksbank presented wit a splendid opportunity . Bramham took the ball down the right wing, beat Barron and put across to Brooksbank standing just on the edge of the goal area. But the inside right was not quick enough to gather the ball and it was cleared.

A moment later Bramham and Rudkin broke through and Jones made a great save taking the ball off the winger’s head.

Peterborough seemed to be  standing the pace better and if anything, were the more dangerous team.


The Posh: Len Silcocks, Bernie Bryan, Cyril Parrott, Tommy Rickards, Fred Warnes, Adam Mitchell, Alan Scobie, Nat Brooksbank, Arnold Bramham, John Padgett and Tommy Rudkin.

Northampton Town: John Jones, Tom Smalley, Bill Barron, Harry Lowery, Bob Dennison, Jack Sankey, Alf Morrall, Dave Smith, Archie Garrett, Harry Thompson and Edwin Blunt.

Goal scorers: The Posh – John Padgett (19 mins). Northampton Town – Harry Thompson (70 mins).