Kettering Town v Posh 3rd Qualifying Rd 1 Nov 1947

Venue: Rockingham Road, Kettering

Attendance: 11,526

Score: Kettering Town 3 v Peterborough Utd 4

Referee: G.A. Jelley

For the second year in succession the United have advanced in the FA Cup competition at the expense of their one-time bogey team, Kettering.

This game they won 4-3 at Rockingham Road before a record crowd of 11,526. In a remarkable game no fewer than four penalties were awarded, two to each side and Ferguson saved one in the last minute to give Peterborough victory.

From the third minute, when Peterborough went ahead with a penalty goal, there was never a dull moment to the last, when Kettering had a disputed penalty – the referee said Rickards handled and all Peterborough protested that he hadn’t. Smith (R) who had scored from a penalty earlier, shot straight into Ferguson’s arms!

Had Kettering scored then, it would have been sheer bad luck, for Peterborough were superior in almost every department, especially when they were striving for the lead.

The experment of moving Brooksbank inside and bringing in Burton on the right wing was justified. “Dizzy” was Kettering’s problem child, and Tear could think of no way of stopping him.

Ranshaw on the other wing was a regular box of tricks, and had unlimited support from Rawson.

The only men who could upset the United forwards were Strathie and Smith (R). Rickards treated the crowd to an exhibition of individual clevernessand constructive football.

For once Tompkin, the Poppies acquisitionfrom Huddersfild had met his match. Parrott had a great game.

Three minutes had gone when Brooksbank, streaking down the middle, was fouled by Campbell and Rickards put the United in front from the spot.

Ten minutes later the Poppies drew level. Smith (R) netting from another penalty after Harris had handled.

Seven minutes later they went ahead. Warnes failed to clear a lob from Smith, Ferguson who ran out to gather the ball was beaten by the bounce and Woolhead lay handy to score.

Dazzling forward play left the Kettering defence standing when Squire equalised.

A minute after the interval Campbell was beaten by a high centre from Ranshaw and Brooksbank put Peterborough ahead.

In the fiftieth minute Rickards scored the fourth from a penalty after Ranshaw had been fouled.

Kettering reduced the lead within six minutes, Tompkin cleverly making an opening for Woolhead.


The Posh: Bob Ferguson, Bernie Bryan, Cyril Parrott, Tommy Rickards, Fred Warnes, Tom Harris, Nat Brooksbank, Stan Burton, Frank Squires, Colin Rawson and Jack Ranshaw.

Kettering Town: Woodward, Campbell, Tear, Smith (R), Strathie, Hawtin, Lawrence, Dunkley, Woolhead, Tompkin and Woolacott.

Goal scorers: The Posh – Nat Brooksbank 47 mins, Frank Squires and Tommy Rickards (2) 3 mins & 50 mins. Kettering Town – R. Smith (13 mins) and  Woolhead (2) 20 mins & 56 mins.